The art of recital, a level of excellence
Our collaborative pianist workshop offers a unique approach focusing on coaching and support, creating a more rewarding learning experience. This workshop also challenges the notion that any pianist can become a collaborative pianist without training.
This workshop focuses on the vocal recital repertoire. Paired with singers, pianists will work on the Art Song repertoire (lieder, French melody, etc.) as well as the opera and oratorio repertoire.
The workshop consists of private lessons, master classes by duos of distinguished teachers, singing lessons for pianists, and various discussions on the realities of the collaborative pianist profession. Topics include:
- Orchestral reduction
- Playing and singing simultaneously
Liz Upchurch will be accompanied by Wendy Nielsen, a singer mainly known for her opera arias.
In addition to the above, the workshop also includes:
- Opportunities to participate in one or more student concerts
- Networking activities with fellow musicians and faculty members
- Access to conferences presented by musicians and guests from various backgrounds on topics related to a musician’s career such as mental health, technique, finances, psychology, physical fitness, and more
- Accommodations in one of our two artist residences
- Three meals a day, as well as full access to the kitchen and common areas
- Practice studios equipped with pianos (available 6 AM-11 PM)
- Housekeeping, laundry (for a fee), parking, and free WiFi
- Free tickets to live performances in the Gilles-Lefebvre Concert Hall (subject to availability)
- The opportunity to explore the beautiful Mont-Orford National Park, Lake Memphremagog, as well as access to activities in Magog
Please note that the audition materials for the Collaborative Pianist Workshop are different from other classes and workshops. Click here to view the audition material.
Please note that all Covid-19 regulations set forth by the Gouvernement du Québec will be rigorously followed.