This class is intended for singers and pianists looking to perfect the art of recital and wishing to deepen their interpretation of French melody and German lieder.
The instruction includes master classes in duos as well as private lessons. Participants will have the opportunity to play or sing for the instructors every day, in addition to performing in a concert at the end of each week of the workshop. The repertoire will be determined with each duo shortly after the confirmation of their stay.
At the time of registration, you must indicate who is part of your duo.
While registration as a duo is strongly recommended, individual registrations are accepted.
Pianist, pianist coach, and pedagogue Liz Upchurch is currently in her 24th season as the Music Director of the Canadian Opera Company’s Ensemble Studio, Canada’s premier training program for young opera professionals. There she has now trained a generation of Canadian artists. She is a recent recipient of Canada’s prestigious Ruby Award for her outstanding contribution to the world of opera.
Following a long and distinguished career as an opera and concert singer, Wendy Nielsen is now Associate Professor, Teaching Stream at the University of Toronto. In addition to her duties there, she is the Head Vocal Consultant for the Canadian Opera Company Ensemble Studio Program. Her own career was launched as a member of this training program. Ms. Nielsen made her Metropolitan Opera Debut as Fiordiligi in Mozart’s Cosi fan tutte in 1996 under the baton of James Levine.
In addition to the above, the workshop also includes:
- Opportunities to participate in one or more student concerts
- Networking activities with fellow musicians and faculty members
- Access to conferences presented by musicians and guests from various backgrounds on topics related to a musician’s career such as mental health, technique, finances, psychology, physical fitness, and more
- Accommodations in one of our two artist residences
- Three meals a day, as well as full access to the kitchen and common areas
- Practice studios equipped with pianos (available 6 AM-11 PM)
- Housekeeping, laundry (for a fee), parking, and free WiFi
- Free tickets to live performances in the Gilles-Lefebvre Concert Hall (subject to availability)
- The opportunity to explore the beautiful Mont-Orford National Park, Lake Memphremagog, as well as access to activities in Magog
Please note that the audition materials for the Collaborative Pianist Workshop are different from other classes and workshops. Click here to view the audition material.
Please note that all Covid-19 regulations set forth by the Gouvernement du Québec will be rigorously followed.